Mesquite Glazed Vegetable Salad
Who doesn’t like food that is both flavorful and comforting?! I am always coming up with fun new salad ideas to pair with my meals, but this one is soo good that I just want to eat a huge bowl of it as is! I hope you feel the same way to!
Mesquite powder comes from the pods of the mesquite tree. It’s a delicious superfood that is known to help balance blood sugar levels and is high in protein, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, lysine, potassium, and dietary fiber! Mesquite goes great in both savory and sweet dishes considering it’s slightly sweet and nutty taste. You should be able to find it at any local health food store:-)
Recipe: serves 2
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, cut in half moons
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 2 heaping tbsp. mesquite powder
- 1-2 tbsp. sambal oelek
- 2 tbsp. soy-free Follow Your Heart Vegenaise (or any vegan mayo you like best)
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp. purified water
- white and black sesame seeds for garnishing
- In a medium bowl add diced avocado, then cut your green pepper in half, remove seeds, and thinly slice in strips. Do the same with your yellow onion. Next, cut your cucumber in half and thinly slice into half moon shapes, add all veggies into your bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl add all of the mesquite dressing ingredients, whisk until nice and smooth but not too runny. Start with the 2 tbsp of water and if its too thick add another and whisk away!
- Pour dressing over veggies and mix with a large mixing spoon or your hands. Throw a few handfuls of both black and white sesame seeds on top of you have them and enjoy!
- If you want to eat half now and the other half later be sure to keep the dressing on the side and use as needed