15 Minute Tortilla Pizza
I don’t know about you but I have always got pizza on the brain. I love experimenting with all of the different ingredients and variations–there are endless possibilities!! This past week has been a chilly one in Boulder, Colorado and I have been super busy networking and trying to get things up and running again. I didn’t have the energy to make my own pizza crust BUT I happened to have some of my favorite brown rice tortillas from Food For Life on hand, and figured that would make a perfect crust for my soon to be eaten pizza!
Often I find that I come up with the most delicious and creative recipes with random ingredients I have in my house. Please feel free to play around with this recipe and add different sauces and toppings, like I said before, the possibilities are truly endless! I hope you enjoy!
Recipe serves 1 but can easily be doubled or tripled
- 1 large tortilla (I used brown rice because it gets crispier quicker)
- 1/2 cup desired pizza or marinara sauce
- 1 sliced tomato
- 1/2 small yellow onion sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 banana pepper sliced
- 2 handfuls of desired olives (I used Kalamata for extra saltiness)
- 1 cooked veggie burger (Hilary’s Original is my favorite)
- 2 slices of Follow Your Heart pepper jack cut into strips
- drizzle of olive oil
- fresh parsley and basil to finish
- Turn your oven on to Broil, if you do not have a broil option then preheat your oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a sil-pad if you have one. Place your tortilla down and set aside while you prepare your toppings.
- Heat a small skillet with a little oil or non dairy butter, then place your desired veggie burger on top and heat both sides through.
- Chop and slice all of your veggie toppings, you can also slice your pepper jack cheese now. Smear about 1/2 cup of marinara all over your tortilla (I like a lot of sauce) Then start to layer all of your veggies (I suggest layering broccoli first because it burns easily) followed by the veggie burger which you can cut into bite size pieces, and lastly the cheese. Drizzle a little EVOO on top and pop it in the oven for about 10-12 mins.
- Once its cooled add your fresh herbs and enjoy with hot sauce, ranch, extra marinara, and a nice cold beverage!
Mesquite Glazed Vegetable Salad
Who doesn’t like food that is both flavorful and comforting?! I am always coming up with fun new salad ideas to pair with my meals, but this one is soo good that I just want to eat a huge bowl of it as is! I hope you feel the same way to!
Mesquite powder comes from the pods of the mesquite tree. It’s a delicious superfood that is known to help balance blood sugar levels and is high in protein, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, lysine, potassium, and dietary fiber! Mesquite goes great in both savory and sweet dishes considering it’s slightly sweet and nutty taste. You should be able to find it at any local health food store:-)
Recipe: serves 2
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, cut in half moons
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 2 heaping tbsp. mesquite powder
- 1-2 tbsp. sambal oelek
- 2 tbsp. soy-free Follow Your Heart Vegenaise (or any vegan mayo you like best)
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp. purified water
- white and black sesame seeds for garnishing
- In a medium bowl add diced avocado, then cut your green pepper in half, remove seeds, and thinly slice in strips. Do the same with your yellow onion. Next, cut your cucumber in half and thinly slice into half moon shapes, add all veggies into your bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl add all of the mesquite dressing ingredients, whisk until nice and smooth but not too runny. Start with the 2 tbsp of water and if its too thick add another and whisk away!
- Pour dressing over veggies and mix with a large mixing spoon or your hands. Throw a few handfuls of both black and white sesame seeds on top of you have them and enjoy!
- If you want to eat half now and the other half later be sure to keep the dressing on the side and use as needed